Developing a life-long interest
Physical Education is taught throughout the school by subject specialists. The aims of the department are:
- To encourage enjoyment and satisfaction through physical activity
- To reach a standard which reflects each student’s ability
- To motivate each student to take regular exercise
- To foster a lifelong interest in physical activity
Physical Education is a compulsory subject in Years 7-13 and a variety of skills are acquired within lessons.
- Years 7-9 follow programmes in gymnastics, hockey, lacrosse, netball, rugby, football, badminton, tennis, athletics and rounders.
- Years 10 follow a programme of activities to include hockey, lacrosse, netball, volleyball, badminton, fitness and handball.
- Year 11 will now follow either a leisure based or competitive based programme of activities alongside Year 12 and 13 on a Wednesday afternoon. Here there will be a large selection of activities to choose from; rowing, spinning and walking through to competitive team based activities where training and fixtures will be played in this time.
- Years 12 and 13 follow the 'Quest' programme and can participate in further leisure based activities which this year which include ice skating, yoga and Pilates or alternatively they can opt for the competitive route as described in the Year 11 programme of activities.
Alongside Physical Education, girls are encouraged to stay physically active throughout the week by accessing our Fitness for All programme, which aims for all girls to be active in some form of activity through our extensive extracurricular programme. This includes non-competitive activities such as Pilates, yoga and cheer-leading.
To get more of a flavour of the range and depth of activities offered, please read more about our Fitness For All programme
To read more about the value of girls' schools in developing women in sport, please visit the GSA Women in Sport pages.
To find out more about our extracurricular sport successes please browse our news pages (link) or to see how busy the department is please check our calendar (link) where you will be able to filter entries to see all our fixtures.